A Brief History
Miniature Herefords are descendant of full size Herefords that have their roots in Herefordshire, England dating back to the 1700’s. Brought here to America in the 1800’s, it wasn’t until the 1970’s that the Largent family began to produce smaller Herefords, giving birth to the first true miniature Hereford bull in 1981. The owner of South Side was fortunate to receive some guidance and expertise from Miniature Hereford breeder Roy Largent III in handpicking some of his miniature Hereford stock with the best genetics and most desirable characteristics. Significantly, we also possess KAP King Henry bloodlines originating from the acclaimed KP Farm. KP is one of the paramount leaders in breeding show quality Miniature Hereford cattle in the United States today. We honor the Largent and Peterson families in their conviction, hard work, wisdom and success by continuing their quest for excellence at South Side Farm.
Why Miniature Herefords?
- Miniature Herefords are a small, compact, efficient breed of cattle, eating 30% – 40% less than their full size counterpart
Miniature Herefords possess a great disposition making them easy to manage
- Miniature Herefords have a docile nature that is noteworthy making them excellent pets, wonderful to show and great around children
- Miniature Herefords have superior feed conversion.
- Miniature Hereford cattle require less acreage and cost less to house making them perfect for small farms and backyard breeders.
- Miniature Herefords adapt to a variety of environments comfortably adapting to varying conditions and temperatures.
- Miniature Herefords mature more quickly than their full size counterparts.
- Miniature Herefords produce a higher ratio of superior quality beef.
- Miniature Herefords are known for their easy, problem free birthing
- Our Miniature Hereford cattle frame scores are 000 & 00.
Seeing is Believing.
Take it to the next level and schedule a visit. We’re confident you will think our facility is unrivaled and our hospitality is like none other. Reading can only take you so far, seeing South Side Farm will confirm we are the choice Miniature Hereford breeder. If you’re ready to win, contact South Side Farm at 518-280-9993; we always enjoy talking about Miniature Hereford cattle, what we do here, and how and why it could benefit you!